DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — The Durham County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of one of its retired lieutenants who recently died of COVID-19 complications, his death certificate shows.
Lt. Terry Sampson, 60, who retired from the agency in August 2018 after 28 years of service, died on Nov. 14.
A death certificate shows that COVID-19 was an underlying cause of his death, along with pneumonia. The immediate cause of death was listed as acute hypercapnic and hypoxemic respiratory failure.
Sampson returned to the agency part-time in 2019 to assist in completing background checks for incoming detention and law enforcement recruits.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Funeral plans announced for Horry County officer killed near Myrtle Beach
- 2 taken to hospital after shooting in Cumberland County, sheriff says
- New Jersey causes stir by making smokers eligible for COVID-19 vaccine
- Fake drugs? Substance found in car from police auction was initially believed to be $300K in heroin
- Capitol riot arrests: What we know about these notable suspects