WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A Durham man died while trying to rescue children in the water off Wrightsville Beach on Sunday.
According to town officials, emergency workers were unable to resuscitate 35-year-old Johnny Lee Vann Jr. after he was pulled from the water.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the vicinity of Beach Access 43 shortly after 4 p.m.
Eyewitnesses told officials that Vann was attempting to rescue several of his children from the water when he began to experience trouble.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 19-year-old threatens to shoot up an abortion clinic
- Resolution passed in favor of ex-Clayton principal
- 72-year-old man guilty of murder; stabbed victim 250 times
- UNC students, activists mark 1-year anniversary of ‘Silent Sam’ toppling
- More than 900 book bags donated to homeless children in Cumberland County
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.