WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A Durham man died while trying to rescue children in the water off Wrightsville Beach on Sunday.
According to town officials, emergency workers were unable to resuscitate 35-year-old Johnny Lee Vann Jr. after he was pulled from the water.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the vicinity of Beach Access 43 shortly after 4 p.m.
Eyewitnesses told officials that Vann was attempting to rescue several of his children from the water when he began to experience trouble.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Person asking for directions has car stolen at gunpoint, Raleigh police say
- End of an era: Crews to raise Durham’s famous ‘can opener’ bridge
- Many NC colleges, universities waiving application fees this week
- RECALL: Over 6,000 pounds of ready-to-eat meat sold at Walmart recalled nationwide
- Toddler girl shot in head is killed, mom wounded after shots fired into home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.