WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A Durham man died while trying to rescue children in the water off Wrightsville Beach on Sunday.
According to town officials, emergency workers were unable to resuscitate 35-year-old Johnny Lee Vann Jr. after he was pulled from the water.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the vicinity of Beach Access 43 shortly after 4 p.m.
Eyewitnesses told officials that Vann was attempting to rescue several of his children from the water when he began to experience trouble.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Search of lake for missing “Glee” star Naya Rivera to resume Sunday
- Police execute search warrant at mansion of gun-toting couple
- Black Lives Matter activists to be charged after blocking traffic in Virginia, police say
- 1,000+ activists gather in Graham’s town square, call for removal of Confederate statue
- COVID-19 safety measures implemented at NC youth baseball games
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.