DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – The Durham Police Department issued a warning Wednesday of a person impersonating an officer.
The incident happened Monday around 10 p.m. on Guess Road near Rose of Sharon Road. Police said a person reported that the impersonator’s vehicle had emergency lights on the dashboard of the car, which appeared to be a brown Ford Focus with black rims.
The impersonator pulled the victim over and asked for identification, but the victim refused and said he would call 911, the report said. The impersonator then got in his car and drove away.
Police said the impersonator is a man in his 30s with “longish brown hair and a goatee.” He was wearing glasses, blue jeans, a gray shirt, and black shoes.
Anyone who has concerns that a vehicle attempting to pull them over may not be a law enforcement vehicle is instructed to call 911 to verify that an officer is making the stop.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Prosecution’s case against ex-cop in Floyd death nears end
- WATCH: Thief on motorcycle rips necklace off woman in middle of NYC crosswalk
- FEMA launches funeral assistance program, reimbursing families up to $9,000 for COVID-19 deaths
- Johnston County school bus involved in crash, 4 students injured, officials say
- Sponsored Content: NC DHHS Vaccine Safety