DURHAM , N.C. (WNCN) – Durham released a series of videos and audio recordings on Thursday related to the April 10 fatal gas explosion on North Duke Street.
A video taken from a firefighters helmet-camera shows the immediate aftermath of the explosion – with firefighter pouring water on the rubble.
- Durham releases firefighter video, 911 calls from fatal gas explosion
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Drone footage 1
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Drone footage 2
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Firefighter helmet-cam 1
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Firefighter helmet-cam 2
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Firefighter helmet-cam 3
- RAW VIDEO | Durham explosion |Firefighter helmet-cam 4
The video shows firefighters go inside a building to the south of the site of the explosion.
The firefighter begins to spray water into thick smoke and darkness. A second firefighter uses a special camera to show where the water is going and where hot spots are located.
The explosion killed two people and injured 25 more.
The gas line was cut by three Optic Cable Technology LLC employees operating the equipment that struck the line, the report said.
Kong Lee, 61, was killed in the explosion. He was the owner of the Kaffeinate coffee shop in downtown Durham. A Dominion Gas employee injured in the April 10 blast died on April 25.
Last week, it was deemed accidental, according to the City of Durham Fire Department’s report.
The report, referencing surveillance footage, explains that Lee appeared to have knowledge of the gas leak moments after the line was struck. Footage shows him approaching the crew about a foul smell at 9:07 a.m., which was about a minute after the line was struck.
The first 911 call about the smell of gas happened within the next five minutes. The explosion happened at about 10:06 a.m.
CBS 17 is working to post all the content released Thursday. This story will be updated.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Police: 9-year-old shot, killed in Durham; 8-year-old wounded
- Florida man who allegedly said he wants to set record and kill 100 people in mass shooting is arrested
- Four Loko teases new seltzer with nearly triple the alcohol content of its competitors
- Man finds 50-year-old message in a bottle from Russian Navy on Alaskan shore
- Expert: These car seats sold online are ‘not safe at all’