DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham police say an 86-year-old man died after a single-vehicle crash that happened last week.
Police say the crash happened shortly before 3 p.m. Thursday in the 1700 block of Cheek Road.
The wreck happened when a 2005 Ford Explorer driven by Ernest Briggs of Durham, tried to drive along a curve and ran off the left side of the road, police said.
According to investigators, the vehicle ran into a ditch and went airborne striking a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that was parked in the yard of 1706 Cheek Road.
The Explorer then flipped, collided with a guidewire and rested on its wheels.
Police say Briggs was not wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle.
Briggs was taken to a nearby hospital and was listed in critical condition. Sunday, police said Briggs died.
Speed was a suspected factor in the crash, according to investigators.
- Wilkes scores 19 points as No. 5 Florida St. edges Notre Dame 85-84
- Jairus Hamilton’s career-high 23 lifts Boston College over Va. Tech 61-56
- Trump defenders argue Democrats just want to overturn election
- Duke grad student from China talks about deadly virus outbreak in her country
- Man wounded in shooting in Raleigh neighborhood