DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham police say an 86-year-old man died after a single-vehicle crash that happened last week.
Police say the crash happened shortly before 3 p.m. Thursday in the 1700 block of Cheek Road.
The wreck happened when a 2005 Ford Explorer driven by Ernest Briggs of Durham, tried to drive along a curve and ran off the left side of the road, police said.
According to investigators, the vehicle ran into a ditch and went airborne striking a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that was parked in the yard of 1706 Cheek Road.
The Explorer then flipped, collided with a guidewire and rested on its wheels.
Police say Briggs was not wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle.
Briggs was taken to a nearby hospital and was listed in critical condition. Sunday, police said Briggs died.
Speed was a suspected factor in the crash, according to investigators.
- Boy killed, girl injured among 4 victims in Alabama mall shooting
- Girl and woman among 5 dead after SUV crosses median on SC interstate
- 5 dead, 3 others seriously injured in crash along NC interstate
- Police arrest man they say posted neo-Nazi, white supremacist stickers in Virginia
- Apex uses sidewalks, street space to give restaurants extra outdoor seating
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now