DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham police are investigating a single-vehicle crash that happened today on the 1700 block of Cheek Road.
Police say the crash happened shortly before 3 p.m. when a 2005 Ford Explorer driven by Ernest Briggs, 86, of Durham, tried to drive along a curve and ran off the left side of the road.
According to investigators, the vehicle ran into a ditch and went airborne striking a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that was parked in the yard of 1706 Cheek Rd.
The Explorer then flipped, collided with a guidewire and rested on its wheels.
Police say Briggs was not wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle.
Briggs was taken to the hospital and is listed in critical condition.
Speed is a suspected factor in the crash, according to investigators.
- Trump defenders argue Democrats just want to overturn election
- Duke grad student from China talks about deadly virus outbreak in her country
- Man wounded in shooting in Raleigh neighborhood
- Chinese leader calls situation grave as country scrambles to contain coronavirus
- Parents arrested after baby found dead in dumpster near Las Vegas