DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham police are investigating a single-vehicle crash that happened today on the 1700 block of Cheek Road.
Police say the crash happened shortly before 3 p.m. when a 2005 Ford Explorer driven by Ernest Briggs, 86, of Durham, tried to drive along a curve and ran off the left side of the road.
According to investigators, the vehicle ran into a ditch and went airborne striking a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that was parked in the yard of 1706 Cheek Rd.
The Explorer then flipped, collided with a guidewire and rested on its wheels.
Police say Briggs was not wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle.
Briggs was taken to the hospital and is listed in critical condition.
Speed is a suspected factor in the crash, according to investigators.
- Wake Forest holds virtual July 4th fireworks show amid pandemic
- Eastbound lanes of US 64 closed in Wake County due to wreck, troopers say
- At Rushmore, Trump to say protesters seek to ‘defame’ heroes
- Violence mars Portland protests, frustrates Black community
- Boy killed, girl injured among 4 victims in Alabama mall shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now