DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Residents who evacuated a Durham affordable housing community due to carbon monoxide concerns remain displaced after almost two weeks. Those families may remain displaced for at least another week.
Durham Housing Authority CEO Anthony Scott said Thursday that hotel stays would be extended for evacuated McDougald Terrace families for at least another week.
He added that services, such as stipends and transportation, will still be offered.
Scott said families would remain displaced for at least another week on Jan. 10. Crews then still had 127 unoccupied units left to inspect.
“I know it’s been very challenging for our residents,” Scott said. “We’re trying to match up as many resources and connections as we can to ease the stress of having to deal with this rather sudden move.”
Two people were temporarily relocated from Hoover Road. Scott said 21 stoves had to be replaced out of the 54 units at the complex. Six gas leaks were repaired, as well.
At Oxford Manor, 58 of 172 units have been inspected. There were 23 issues found, primarily involving stoves. Gas was shut off and the stoves were replaced, allowing residents to remain in place.
Krystal Perry lives in Oxford Manor. She told CBS 17 inspectors found a gas leak in her apartment on Thursday morning. She claims they were being secretive.
“We literally overheard the maintenance man tell the gas leak man, ‘don’t tell the residents what’s going on because we don’t want them harassing us about the situation,'” she said.
Perry lives in the apartment with her 8-year-old son and says she no longer feels safe staying there.
“It makes you think of things,” she said. “I’ve heard of kids dying over this and I don’t want that for my child.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NCDHHS reports lowest percent positive rate for COVID-19 tests in more than 4 months
- Nonprofit shows support for law enforcement with billboard on US 64 in Raleigh
- Stretches of NC 12 closed along Outer Banks
- TRACKING THE TROPICS: Beta crawling toward Texas, Louisiana coast
- NC Central student injured after stray bullet breaks dorm room window, officials say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now