DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities say a family of five made it out safely but several of their pets were killed in a house fire early Sunday morning.
The fire happened at a home in the 4700 block of High Meadow Road just before 5 a.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters noticed heavy flames showing from three sides of the home. Authorities say 30 firefighters responded and the fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes.
Several of the family’s pets died in the fire but a hedgehog survived.
No people were injured.
The family is displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 2 from NC among college baseball players arrested for hazing, SC deputies say
- 7-year-old girl who sold lemonade to pay for brain surgery recovering after procedure
- Police investigating shooting at Charlotte Walmart on Monday night
- SC man used crossbow to rob woman outside Myrtle Beach hotel, police say
- Raleigh mom who got COVID-19 vaccine helps her family who were sickened by the coronavirus
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now