DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A death investigation is underway after a man was found dead in a pond in Durham on Monday evening, according to the Durham County Sheriff’s Office.
Investigators responded to the 3100 block of Holloway Street around 5:15 p.m. Monday. It was there that they found the man in the pond.
A search and recovery team from the sheriff’s office helped remove the body.
The sheriff’s office identified the man as 23-year-old Fillberto Espinosa-Cruz of Durham.
His body was sent to the North Carolina Medical Examiner for an autopsy.
The investigation into the man’s death is ongoing.
A GoFundMe has been started to pay for Espinosa-Cruz’s funeral.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s office at 919-560-0880 or Durham County Crimestoppers at 919-683-1200.
No further information was released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Dirt bike rider seriously injured in collision with SUV in Fayetteville
- Police investigated for shooting at car carrying kid brothers in Georgia
- VIDEO: Family spots funnel cloud near Outer Banks
- Man charged with sex crimes involving NC girl visiting Myrtle Beach, police say
- Trooper injured by large rock, 24 arrested as protests continue for 70th day in Portland
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now