DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Durham police are investigating a shooting that happened Thursday evening near Duke University’s campus.
Police said the shooting happened near the intersection of Burch Avenue and Swan Street, which is just off Duke University Road.
A man was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
No additional information was available.
As of Oct. 17, Durham police reported 253 people having been shot in the city, which is an increase from 148 during the same time period in 2019. City leaders have discussed various ways to combat the rise in gun violence.
Mayor Steve Schewel supports stricter gun laws. Police Chief C.J. Davis said gunshot detection technology may have a preventative effect. City councilman Mark-Anthony Middleton helped launch an initiative, called 1,000 Black Men, which is aimed at mentoring young men in the community.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC man charged with murder in Transylvania County shooting, deputies say
- Former Trump aide sues over Russia probe surveillance, claims he was ‘unlawful spying’ victim
- Late TD, 2nd chance at extra point give Vikings 28-27 edge over Carolina Panthers
- 11 injured in mass shooting at biker bar in Mississippi
- 1 car flips, 2 more damaged in apparent road rage involving pro-Trump drivers and others