DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – North Carolina Highway 147 North, also known as the Durham Freeway, is shut down Tuesday morning, according to Durham police.
The section of the highway near Ellis Road is closed “due to a serious traffic crash,” officials said.
Police later confirmed that they’re investigating a fatal crash – but had no other details to provide.
Drivers are being advised to avoid the area if they are able to. Pictures from the scene show a long line of police vehicles parked on the shoulder.
CBS 17 has a crew at the scene and this story will be updated as it develops.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Florida taxi driver caught sexually assaulting blind woman in cab, police say
- WATCH: Priceless reaction when Virginia baby hears mother’s voice for first time
- 3 Marines, 1 sailor attacked by coyotes in last 2 weeks at Camp Lejeune
- Officer shot in Louisville walks into roll call the next morning
- LIVE: Ginsburg is first woman to lie in state at US Capitol
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now