DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Two New Yorkers were arrested in Durham on Wednesday after the sheriff’s office busted them with cocaine and 14.5 pounds of marijuana, officials said.
The Durham County Sheriff’s Office Anti-Crime and Narcotics Unit received a tip saying drug trafficking was occurring in the area of Club Boulevard and Gregson Street.
On Wednesday, investigators acted on that tip and observed a suspect vehicle and pulled it over, the sheriff’s office said.
Luz Ortega 45 of Bronx, New York and Carlos Penzo, 33 of Yonkers, New York were arrested as a result of that traffic stop.
The sheriff’s office said they had two kilos of cocaine and 14.5 pounds of marijuana.
Both charged with:
- 2 counts of trafficking in cocaine
- 2 counts of trafficking in marijuana
- 1 count of possession with intent to sell or deliver cocaine
- 1 count of possession with intent to sell or deliver marijuana
- 1 county of maintaining a vehicle, dwelling, or place for a controlled substance
A magistrate set their bonds at $1.5 million dollars each.
Their arrests are part of an ongoing investigation into drug trafficking in Durham County and elsewhere in North Carolina, the sheriff’s office said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- $11.5 million in grants awarded to coastal NC for Hurricane Florence damage
- 2 dead after Navy plane crashes in Alabama neighborhood
- NC woman charged with murder after Davison County baby dies following methadone exposure
- 19-year-old killed, 14-year-old injured after shooting in Robeson County
- 2 dead in Alabama naval aircraft crash