DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A 24-year-old Durham man was killed in a traffic collision on Interstate 40 west early Friday.
At 6:10 a.m., Antonio Waddell, 24, of Durham was driving a 2010 Nissan Altima when he rear-ended a Ford F-150 near the N.C. Highway 751 exit, police said.
Waddell was ejected during the collision. He was taken to the hospital but later died, police said.
The driver of the truck was also transported to the hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
The crash remains under investigation.
Police said speed appears to have been a factor in the crash.
The westbound lanes were closed following the crash for about three hours.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Few crowds seen on Franklin Street during big UNC-Notre Dame game
- One person killed, another wounded in Black Friday shooting at Arden Fair Mall
- Nurse who came out of retirement to train others dies from COVID-19
- Retired coast guard vet still helping fellow military members
- Teen charged after passenger dies in DUI crash on Thanksgiving, SC troopers say