DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – One week after the hammer drove the first nail into what would become the first wall, two houses on Barton Street are ready for their new owners to move in.
On Friday, Durham Habitat Humanity celebrated the completion of a Blitz Build by dedicating the new buildings and handing keys to first-time homeowners. Professional builders from Buildsense and Durham Building Company quickly constructed the two houses.
“Long hours. Start to finish it was actually five-and-a-half-days,” Durham Habitat executive director Blake Strayhorn said.
“I wish they all could be done this quickly. That would solve a lot of our affordable housing problems in Durham.”
“It was a very amazing journey, an exciting journey. I and my family are very blessed and grateful. It just brings joy to my heart,” Evans said.
“It’s been very busy with different builders coming every day. It was very fun to watch them put in trees and just do the whole thing. It’s very exciting.”
To get involved with Durham Habitat for Humanity, visit the organization’s website at this link.
Latest stories from cbs17.com:
- Reward offered after 11-year-old shot while riding in car in Durham
- CBS 17 Storm Team Meteorologist Bill Reh shares his winter weather predictions
- Multimillion-dollar amusement park breaks ground in Myrtle Beach, expected to bring 100 jobs
- New Zealand leader Ardern offers virus know-how to Joe Biden
- Sheetz, NC’s Wicked Weed Brewing team up for donut-infused beer
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now