ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WNCN) — Rocky Mount police say a body found Wednesday has been identified as a missing father and retired Rocky Mount firefighter.

At about 1 p.m., the Rocky Mount Fire Department search and rescue team found 61-year-old Bobby Wilson in the woodline on the 400 block of North Winstead Ave., according to a release.

Bobby Wilson (Rocky Mount Police Department)

Family, friends and the law enforcement community — including K9 and drone units — out of Rocky Mount had been searching for Wilson, who was last seen at his home in the 3400 block of Sunset Avenue on Saturday.

Bobby’s 24-year-old son, Jeremy Wilson, had shared requests for help, calling the news “heartbreaking.”

Jeremy also told CBS 17 that his father went missing from his home under “suspicious circumstances,” but did not elaborate.

During an interview with CBS 17, Jeremy said he last saw his dad on Saturday while they were working on a project.

After Bobby never showed up to work on Monday, he said, “We went into his house and everything was there but he wasn’t… we knew something was up.”

Jeremy Wilson asked for people to reach out through a Facebook post, particularly anyone who “might have been in contact with my dad within that time period or even a few days prior.”

While talking about his father, Jeremy said his dad had been a firefighter for decades. Even after retirement, he continued to volunteer for multiple stations.

“Everyone knew my dad. He did not go without someone knowing his presence– he was very vibrant,” said Jeremy.

Although heartbroken, Jeremy said the investigation has added some closure. He said, “He was a phenomenal firefighter, but even a better person,” said Jeremy. “He will be with me for the rest of my life no matter what- Just having him in my heart.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Rocky Mount Police Department at 252-972-1411.

The Rocky Mount Police Department Criminal Investigation Unit and the North Carolina Medical Examiner’s Office remain at the scene, according to police.

They say the investigation remains active.

Officers plan to release more information as the investigation develops.