BUIES CREEK, N.C. (WNCN) — Fire broke out at the new Campbell University student union Thursday afternoon, according to university officials.
The fire was brought under control quickly, but not before causing damage to the new facility currently scheduled to open in December 2019.
All of the workers on site at the time of the fire were able to get out safely. Students were kept away from the area. There were no injuries.
The fire appears to have been started by a welding incident. Officials are trying to determine if the fire will delay construction.
The president of Campbell later issued a statement:
With a rapid and robust response from the Buies Creek Fire Department and units from other area municipalities, today’s student union fire was contained and extinguished. There were no injuries and apparently minimal damage.
Earliest indications are the fire was started accidentally by a welding torch. We are grateful that the incident occurred without a loss of property. Our construction managers will survey the damage and provide a full report and resume work as soon as possible. — J. Bradley Creed