DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Guess Road in Durham was closed in both directions due to a fatal crash Saturday morning, police say.
The crash happened around 8:15 a.m. when a northbound 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan driven crashed into the back of a 2021 International MV607 box truck, which was stationary in the right northbound lane of Guess Road, according to police.
The box truck, which had its hazard lights on, was stopped to make a delivery.
Lashawn Daniel Jones, 43, of Raleigh was standing outside the box truck and was struck by the Dodge Grand Caravan.
Jones, an employee of Integrity Transport LLC of Raleigh, was taken to the hospital, where he died a short time later.
A second employee was in the cargo area of the box truck when the crash happened. That worker was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Investigators cited Christopher Brandon Weathers, 33, of Rougemont, who was driving the Dodge Grand Caravan, for misdemeanor death by vehicle and failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision, according to police.
Guess Road was closed between Crystal Lake Road and Kirkwood Drive for approximately three hours after the crash, police said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- In being opening game for 3 straight opponents, Blue Devils will set odd record at Virginia
- Large NC outdoor venues to reopen, financial relief coming for small businesses
- Some Halloween activities could increase COVID-19 risk, CDC warns
- Child involved in Durham shooting, police say
- Durham school building closing after ‘probable’ COVID-19 case involving worker