ERWIN, N.C. (WNCN) – An 18-year-old was fatally shot while she was sleeping in her Erwin home early Monday, the sheriff’s office said.
Deputies were called to a home Bunnlevel-Erwin Road just after midnight in response to a shooting.
Upon arrival, deputies learned Iyania Rhone was asleep when someone fired several rounds into the home from a car, authorities said.
She was struck in the pelvic area and was transported to Cape Fear Valley hospital where she later died, the sheriff’s office said.
Rhone was a senior at Harnett Central High School.
If anyone has any information about this case, they are urged to contact the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office Investigations Division at 910-893-0140 or use the anonymous tip line at 910-893-0300.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Your pictures from central NC’s biggest snow of the season
- Should fewer Americans get a $1,400 stimulus check?
- Durham County sheriff requiring employees to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Former Wake County deputy arrested after hours-long standoff, sheriff’s office says
- No. 20 Hokies rebound from road loss to top Notre Dame 62-51