ERWIN, N.C. (WNCN) – An 18-year-old was fatally shot while she was sleeping in her Erwin home early Monday, the sheriff’s office said.
Deputies were called to a home Bunnlevel-Erwin Road just after midnight in response to a shooting.
Upon arrival, deputies learned Iyania Rhone was asleep when someone fired several rounds into the home from a car, authorities said.
She was struck in the pelvic area and was transported to Cape Fear Valley hospital where she later died, the sheriff’s office said.
Rhone was a senior at Harnett Central High School.
If anyone has any information about this case, they are urged to contact the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office Investigations Division at 910-893-0140 or use the anonymous tip line at 910-893-0300.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Mom warns of dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after son dies after a day on the lake
- 100+ firefighters extinguish large fire at former school in Wendell
- Durham man busted with ‘Gray Death’ drugs after 120 mph chase on I-95, Nash County sheriff says
- 1 dead in 2-vehicle crash in Durham, police say
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now