CLINTON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 48-year-old inmate died Thursday at the Sampson County jail, the sheriff’s office said.
The Sampson County Sheriff’s Office said inmates alerted detention center staff that Jamie Beach, of Roseboro was having a medical emergency.
Staff found Beach unconscious and not breathing, the sheriff’s office said.
Detention center staff began CPR and used an AED on Beach. EMS responded and began to treat Beach.
“Despite efforts of all first responders, they were unsuccessful in reviving the inmate,” the sheriff’s office said in a release.
The State Bureau of Investigation has been contacted and will conduct an investigation into Beach’s death.
A cause of death was not released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Charges against aggressive I-540 driver ‘very much improbable,’ Highway Patrol says
- Judge refuses to sequester jury in George Floyd murder case
- UNC, VT football season opener set for Sept. 3 in Blacksburg
- White House issuing reports on states’ infrastructure needs
- ‘Huge’ explosion rocks St. Vincent as volcano keeps erupting