CLINTON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 48-year-old inmate died Thursday at the Sampson County jail, the sheriff’s office said.
The Sampson County Sheriff’s Office said inmates alerted detention center staff that Jamie Beach, of Roseboro was having a medical emergency.
Staff found Beach unconscious and not breathing, the sheriff’s office said.
Detention center staff began CPR and used an AED on Beach. EMS responded and began to treat Beach.
“Despite efforts of all first responders, they were unsuccessful in reviving the inmate,” the sheriff’s office said in a release.
The State Bureau of Investigation has been contacted and will conduct an investigation into Beach’s death.
A cause of death was not released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Families of those slain in Durham gather to seek end to gun violence
- Amber Alert canceled: Suspect arrested, 2 girls found safe after 2 boys discovered dead
- No. 3 Notre Dame rides big plays to 45-3 win over Pitt
- Wake Forest upsets No. 19 Virginia Tech 23-16
- VIDEO: Rock star Jon Bon Jovi performs ahead of Biden at rally in Pennsylvania