SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) — A Smithfield family is leaning on their faith and their community after losing their house in a fire Wednesday morning.

At 4:25 a.m., the Smithfield Fire Department was called to a structure fire in the 200 block of Longview Drive. A working fire was declared and flames were seen through the roof.

One person was taken to the hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

Anthony Lynn’s parents lived at their home for 20 years. Anthony described getting the call from their mom moments after it happened.

“She was just like ‘the house is gone, the house is burning down’ and I was like ‘mom, what? What you mean? There’s no way, we was just there,’” Lynn said.

Smithfield fire chief Jeremey Daughtry said the fire was a reminder of why working smoke detectors are important.



See the latest news from Johnston County

“Having working smoke alarms in the house, it appears that it saved their lives this morning,” Daughtry said.

A CBS 17 crew at the scene saw several neighbors stop by to check on the family and offer help and Lynn said the family is thankful for the help and support.

Smithfield fire department said they are working with the Johnston County Fire Marshal to figure out what started the fire.