CLAYTON, N.C. (WNCN) — A teen boy died and a man in his 20s was injured in a drive-by shooting in Johnston County early Saturday, officials say.
The incident was reported after 1 a.m. along the 100 block of Blackthorn Court, which has a Clayton address but is just north of Willow Springs, according to Capt. Jeff Caldwell of the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: A previous version of this story said the incident happened at 103 Blackthorn Court, but that was incorrect based on information provided to CBS 17.)
The boy who died was 15, Caldwell said. The man who was injured was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of a “minor gunshot wound,” Caldwell said.
The two victims were standing outside when the shooting happened.
The three suspects were in a beige Chevrolet Tahoe SUV with front end damage. The shots came from the Tahoe, Caldwell said.
Caldwell would not say if the teen and man were targeted in the shooting, but did say all five people knew each other.
“We believe that the individuals knew each other in some capacity — I would not call this a drug deal but we believe the individuals knew each other in some capacity,” Caldwell said.
Anyone with information about the suspects or the SUV should call the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office at 919-989-5000.
- VIDEO: Close call for kayakers as a giant glacier collapse near them
- “It’s doing something good”: 2 women brighten lives of seniors with memory loss
- Police: 9-year-old shot, killed in Durham; 8-year-old wounded
- Florida man who allegedly said he wants to set record and kill 100 people in mass shooting is arrested
- Four Loko teases new seltzer with nearly triple the alcohol content of its competitors
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now