SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – Three people have been arrested after a 19-year-old former high school football standout was killed in a shooting in Johnston County, authorities said.
On Wednesday, Kevin Ruiz, 20, Julian Furr, 23, and a 16-year-old boy were arrested by Selma police and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.
Malik Shepherd was shot near the intersection of West Preston and Green streets around 11 p.m. on Saturday. Tyquan Dublin, 21, was also shot. He underwent surgery Sunday and is expected to be OK.
The investigation is ongoing, police said.
Hundreds gathered to remember Shepherd on Monday.
Shepherd had planned to start at Barton College the week after his death.
He was also expecting a baby girl within a month.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ‘Tell my mom I love her’: Graphic body camera video shows police officer shooting 13-year-old boy with autism
- LIVE: White House press secretary holds briefing
- Full List: Bed Bath & Beyond plans to close these stores by the end of 2020
- ‘Uber for evictions’: Startup raising eyebrows for listing tenant removal gig jobs
- Crews work to put out ‘large structure fire’ in Dunn
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now