PRINCETON, N.C. (WNCN) — An 83-year-old woman died after she was hit by a vehicle that then fled in Johnston County Friday afternoon.
The incident was reported just after 4:50 p.m. along Old Cornwallis Road near Rains Mill Road, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.
The woman who died was identified as Christine Willoughby, officials said Tuesday.
A relative told CBS 17 Willoughby was walking to her mailbox when she was struck and killed.
Willoughby was a great-grandmother and leaves behind four children, according to her obituary.
Authorities said they are looking for a possible silver Ford Expedition SUV.
A memorial service is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday at Tee’s Chapel Free Will Baptist Church, where Willoughby was a member. The family will receive visitors from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at the church.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Baker’s Chapel Church Cemetery.
- Norfolk PD officer fired after anonymous donation to Kyle Rittenhouse defense fund
- Bowler adds father’s ashes to ball, rolls perfect game
- Judge makes no decision on bond for SC suspect accused in Capitol riots; FBI claims QAnon ties
- Pres. Biden, VP Harris address nation after Derek Chauvin verdict
- Las Vegas Raiders receive backlash for tweet on Chauvin verdict