PRINCETON, N.C. (WNCN) — An 83-year-old woman died after she was hit by a vehicle that then fled in Johnston County Friday afternoon.
The incident was reported just after 4:50 p.m. along Old Cornwallis Road near Rains Mill Road, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.
The woman who died was identified as Christine Willoughby, officials said Tuesday.
A relative told CBS 17 Willoughby was walking to her mailbox when she was struck and killed.
Willoughby was a great-grandmother and leaves behind four children, according to her obituary.
Authorities said they are looking for a possible silver Ford Expedition SUV.
A memorial service is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday at Tee’s Chapel Free Will Baptist Church, where Willoughby was a member. The family will receive visitors from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at the church.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Baker’s Chapel Church Cemetery.
- Report: NFL to play black national anthem before season-opening games
- Final work underway for July 4th fireworks show at Fort Bragg
- Demonstrators block Capital Blvd. in Raleigh, return to Executive Mansion in protest of SB 168
- NC animal control crews working to get bear out of tree
- Attorney: Missing Texas solider was killed at Fort Hood
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now