SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – A mom and her two children are OK after their car crashed into a Smithfield church overnight, according to authorities.
According to Smithfield police, the incident happened Tuesday morning at Freedom Baptist Church, located in the 300-block of N. Brightleaf Boulevard.
Freedom Baptist Church’s pastor, Mike Walls, told CBS 17 this is the third time a vehicle has crashed into his church in the 20 years he’s been there. He joked that maybe they would start a drive-thru service.
Walls said that he was told the driver fell asleep at the wheel, ran off the road, and slammed into his church. The woman was transported to the hospital as a precaution and should be fine. Her children were not injured.
Walls said he’s still planning on holding services at the church and said the damage is nothing that insurance can’t fix.
It’s not known at this time if the driver will be facing any charges.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Advice for job seekers
- Texas early voting exceeds total of all 2016 ballots
- McRib is back: McDonald’s fan-favorite to be available nationwide for first time since 2012
- Daughter watches massive tree crush family’s home during Tropical Storm Zeta in NC
- Suspect in critical condition after NC officer-involved shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now