BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A deadly crash closed parts of Interstate 95 in Johnston County for several hours on Saturday, officials said.
The incident was reported around 3:35 p.m. in the southbound lanes just south of the Interstate 40 interchange near N.C. 242, which is exit 79 near mile marker 78, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said that at least one person died in the crash near Benson, which involved “several vehicles.”
Initially, all lanes of I-95 were closed, but the right lane heading north later opened, according to NC DOT.
One lane heading south reopened around 8:20 p.m. All lanes reopened around 8:35 p.m.
Officials had set up a detour at Exit 81-A, I-40 West that took drivers through Benson.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- A look at how Wake County is prioritizing vaccine distribution
- 2 men killed, 2-year-old injured in shooting at Asheboro apartment complex
- Dr. Fauci says it’s ‘liberating’ to be a part of a science-friendly administration
- California man arrested in double murder of wife, daughter
- Rezoning petition could pave way for new Panthers stadium