BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A deadly crash closed parts of Interstate 95 in Johnston County for several hours on Saturday, officials said.
The incident was reported around 3:35 p.m. in the southbound lanes just south of the Interstate 40 interchange near N.C. 242, which is exit 79 near mile marker 78, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said that at least one person died in the crash near Benson, which involved “several vehicles.”
Initially, all lanes of I-95 were closed, but the right lane heading north later opened, according to NC DOT.
One lane heading south reopened around 8:20 p.m. All lanes reopened around 8:35 p.m.
Officials had set up a detour at Exit 81-A, I-40 West that took drivers through Benson.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Domestic violence suspect stabbed California K-9 before officers fatally shot him, police say
- Convicted sex offenders caught smuggling migrants in California
- Kansas man learns his license plate has a twin when another driver’s bills arrive
- Durham police responding to shots fired find man dead in car
- ‘I’m in heaven’: Beer becomes available, creating frenzy in Tijuana
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now