SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – A teen’s ex-girlfriend poisoned his sports drink with bleach and dish detergent Thursday, forcing the victim to the hospital for emergency treatment, the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office said.
The incident happened just after 5:45 p.m. Thursday at a Weatherspoon Lane home just south of Wilsons Mills, according to an incident report and Johnston County Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Caldwell.
The incident was originally dispatched as an overdose, the incident report said.
The investigation revealed a 17-year-old boy drank from a Gatorade bottle he thought contained the sports drink, Caldwell said.
The teen victim had a burning in his throat, began vomiting and had abdominal pains just after drinking from the bottle, Caldwell said.
He was rushed to Johnston Medical Center in Smithfield and is expected to recover from the incident, officials said.
Makayla Gwen Bridges, 18, of Apex, who is the victim’s ex-girlfriend, was charged in the incident, according to Caldwell.
Bridges was charged with distributing noxious food causing harm. A Dawn dishwashing liquid bottle was taken into evidence, according to the incident report.
Bridges was held at the Johnston County Detention Center on a $10,000 bond.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Mom warns of dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after son dies after a day on the lake
- 100+ firefighters extinguish large fire at former school in Wendell
- Durham man busted with ‘Gray Death’ drugs after 120 mph chase on I-95, Nash County sheriff says
- 1 dead in 2-vehicle crash in Durham, police say
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now