PRINCETON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 20-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with an 83-year-old woman’s death following a hit-and-run Friday in Princeton.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said Jeffrey Williams, of Selma, was booked Wednesday on charges of felony hit-and-run resulting in serious injury or death. He turned himself in, troopers said.
The incident was reported Friday just after 4:50 p.m. along Old Cornwallis Road near Rains Mill Road, troopers said. The woman who died was later identified as 83-year-old Christine Willoughby.
A relative said Willoughby was walking to her mailbox when she was hit and killed. She was a great-grandmother and left behind four children, according to her obituary.
Williams told troopers that it was raining and that was why he didn’t see Willoughby.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Several protesters arrested during demonstration on Capital Blvd.
- Report: NFL to play Black national anthem before ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ at season-opening games
- Final work underway for July 4th fireworks show at Fort Bragg
- Demonstrators block Capital Blvd. in Raleigh after protest at Executive Mansion over SB 168
- NC animal control crews working to get bear out of tree
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now