PRINCETON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 20-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with an 83-year-old woman’s death following a hit-and-run Friday in Princeton.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said Jeffrey Williams, of Selma, was booked Wednesday on charges of felony hit-and-run resulting in serious injury or death. He turned himself in, troopers said.
The incident was reported Friday just after 4:50 p.m. along Old Cornwallis Road near Rains Mill Road, troopers said. The woman who died was later identified as 83-year-old Christine Willoughby.
A relative said Willoughby was walking to her mailbox when she was hit and killed. She was a great-grandmother and left behind four children, according to her obituary.
Williams told troopers that it was raining and that was why he didn’t see Willoughby.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Laredo caught ‘in the cross hairs’ over border wall, city’s mayor tells protesters
- Church unveils nativity scene depicting holy family as caged refugees
- 18-year-old arrested for killing brother in Southern Pines, police say
- Russia hit with 4-year Olympics ban for falsified doping data
- Report: Panthers open to trading Cam Newton for ‘significant return’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now