GARNER, N.C. (WNCN)– A 65-year-old man was arrested in his stepdaughter’s murder, the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office said.
The fatal shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. Friday at a house on Julio Lane in Garner.
Deputies responded to the area, located near N.C. Highway 42 and Interstate 40, and confirmed that 42-year-old Cheryl Lynn Guinn-Hirst had been shot to death at the scene, officials said.
Through investigation, it was found out that Ronald James Gasper, the stepfather of the victim, had shot and killed his stepdaughter who was reportedly living at the house at the time of the shooting, deputies said in a news release.
Gasper was arrested and charged in Guinn-Hirst’s murder.
Gasper is behind bars at the Johnston County Jail and is being held without bond.
Authorities did not release a motive in the shooting.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 3 dead after Florida-bound plane crashes in Georgia
- ‘I felt terrified;’ S.C. man recounts incident that resulted in deputy’s firing and misconduct charges
- S.C. teacher receives award after helping student call 911 over unresponsive mom
- Tips from a pro photographer on how to get the ultimate Instagram-worthy shot
- Oil company mistakenly delivers 100+ gallons to wrong address, flooding the basement