BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A Fuquay-Varina man is dead after getting hit by an Amtrak train in Benson Wednesday morning, police said.
The fatal collision occurred at approximately 1:51 a.m. on the railroad tracks near the East Parrish Drive crossing, according to authorities.
The man, who has been identified as 32-year-old Douglas Ray Hawley, was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to police, Hawley “was partially laying on one of the rails” when he was hit by the northbound train.
The investigation is ongoing. No evidence of any foul play has been observed, police said.
An autopsy will be performed at the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine if any underlying causes or circumstances could have contributed to Hawley’s death, police said.
The train tracks reopened by 4 a.m.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man killed in Charlotte, marking city’s 100th homicide this year
- Second stimulus checks: What’s the status of $1,200 payments?
- ‘Absolutely devastating’: Last calf born to April the giraffe dies
- New US homes sought for 196 dogs rescued from South Korean meat farm
- WATCH: Firefighters rescue burned barn owl from massive California wildfire
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now