BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 15-year-old South Johnston High School football player and another person were seriously injured in a shooting early Saturday morning.
A third person — a woman — was grazed by a bullet during the incident in which neighbors said 30 shots were fired.
Neighbors said they also saw the gunmen flashing gang signs.
The shooting happened in the area of Whittington and South Benton streets before 1 a.m.
The 15-year-old, CJ Redmond, is in the ICU and stable at WakeMed. The other victim who was seriously injured when shot in the shoulder has been released from a nearby hospital.
The woman who was grazed was the football player’s aunt, family members said. Redmond was visiting his sister after a game win.
Police said Saturday afternoon that they had identified a “person of interest.”
“Our investigators are also working to locate this person for further questioning,” a Benson police news release said.
- Bill just passed in NC House could make voting by mail easier this November
- Portuguese Man o’ War spotted on beaches from Surfside Beach to North Myrtle Beach
- North Carolina Zoo welcomes second litter of critically endangered red wolf pups
- Morrisville Sheetz employee tests positive for COVID-19, store closed for cleaning
- Zion Williamson seeks to avoid answering questions about improper benefits
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now