SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities are investigating after a 17-year-old boy was shot outside a Walmart in Smithfield.
The shooting happened shortly after 5 p.m. outside the store, which is located at 1299 N. Brightleaf Blvd. The juvenile victim was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said.
The suspect in the case is described as a white man wearing a light-colored shirt and dark pants. He may have fled the area in a white Dodge Charger, police said.
“We happened to hear bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam,” said Bobby Barbour. “Everybody was ducking, running to the door, trying to get in.”
Another person who lives nearby said he heard the gunshots while looking for a parking spot.
“People were out here screaming and hollering,” said Duane Guin. “You could really tell there was something bad happening.”
Anyone with information is asked to call 919-989-8835 or submit a tip.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Raleigh mom plans to buy first house after winning $1M from scratch-off
- Tracking the Tropics: Zeta gaining strength, will likely become hurricane
- Officer suspended for blaring ‘Trump 2020’ from NYPD vehicle
- Senate to confirm Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination
- NASA to announce new discovery about the moon
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now