SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities are investigating after a 17-year-old boy was shot outside a Walmart in Smithfield.
The shooting happened shortly after 5 p.m. outside the store, which is located at 1299 N. Brightleaf Blvd. The juvenile victim was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said.
The suspect in the case is described as a white man wearing a light-colored shirt and dark pants. He may have fled the area in a white Dodge Charger, police said.
“We happened to hear bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam,” said Bobby Barbour. “Everybody was ducking, running to the door, trying to get in.”
Another person who lives nearby said he heard the gunshots while looking for a parking spot.
“People were out here screaming and hollering,” said Duane Guin. “You could really tell there was something bad happening.”
Anyone with information is asked to call 919-989-8835 or submit a tip.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Police respond after students involved in fight at NC high school
- Child dies after fire at NC apartments; another victim severely injured
- Woman shoots man in neck, leads law on high-speed chase, SC deputies say
- NC animal clinic no longer accepting donations for the ‘World’s Worst Cat’
- NC woman facing 40 counts of animal cruelty after dogs seized