CLAYTON, N.C. (WNCN) – Clayton police are investigating after they say a man drove away after being fatally shot Thursday afternoon.
The shooting occurred at Durham and Hobbs streets and the victim got into a black GMC Yukon and left the scene.
He drove to the area near the Speedway at 11693 Highway 70 at Powhatan Road around 2 p.m.
The victim went to the gas station where he collapsed and died, police said.
“I couldn’t even get to my driveway. Of course, then the officer told me everything that had happened,” Etta Piscitelli- Morton, a neighbor said. “There’s no real safe neighborhood but this one I didn’t think would be involved in something quite like this,” she explained.
“Its very scary because I have two children and I’m actually expecting a third. So it is very scary, just to know this happened in our neighborhood,” Alvarez said.
Officers are at three scenes connected to the shooting – Durham Street, the building where the Yukon crashed and the gas station.
“Every single detective I have. Every patrol officer, even all my captains are out here working on all these scenes,” Clayton Police Chief Blair Myhand said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wilkes scores 19 points as No. 5 Florida St. edges Notre Dame 85-84
- Jairus Hamilton’s career-high 23 lifts Boston College over Va. Tech 61-56
- Trump defenders argue Democrats just want to overturn election
- Duke grad student from China talks about deadly virus outbreak in her country
- Man wounded in shooting in Raleigh neighborhood