WENDELL, N.C. (WNCN) — Authorities say that a Raleigh teen stole legally-grown hemp from a field in Johnston County.
The incident was reported around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday. The call was about a suspicious person in the field south of Wendell.
When Johnston County deputies arrived, they found the suspect with 8.8 pounds of hemp in two bags.
Johnston County Capt. Jeff Caldwell said Najae Davonte Riley, 18, of Raleigh was nabbed before leaving the area with the hemp.
Riley was charged with felony larceny, felony possession of marijuana, conspiracy to sell or deliver a controlled substance, possession with intent to sell or deliver a controlled substance.
Two counterfeit $100 bills were found later when Riley was taken to jail and he was also charged with possession of counterfeit currency.
Riley was held on a $50,000 bond, which was increased to $60,000 after the fake $100 bills were found, deputies said.
Riley’s court date is set for Oct. 10 in Johnston County District Court.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- World’s largest treehouse burns down in Tennessee
- Salvation Army of Wake County’s Christmas Cheer Program registration starts next week
- Amazon officials show off gigantic new fulfillment center in Garner
- October 23: Perfect Fall Weather!
- 85 evacuated after Goldsboro senior housing building floods
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now