SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – An employee at a Smithfield assisted living facility has arrested and charged in connection with the rape of a 79-year-old resident, police said.
Ngigi Kariuki, 47, of Clayton was charged with second-degree forcible rape following an investigation that began December 19.
Smithfield police were called to the Brookdale Senior Living facility on December 19 in response to a reported sexual assault.
Investigators were told a 79-year-old resident had been sexually assaulted by a staff member, police said.
The Johnston County Sheriff’s Office assisted Smithfield police with the cooperation of the facility during the investigation that led to Kariuki’s arrest.
Kariuki received a $100,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court December 27.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- IRS delays start of tax season to Feb. 12
- VIDEO: NC woman makes hot cocoa bombs to benefit local charity
- Wake County starting COVID-19 vaccine waitlist for 65+ individuals, healthcare workers
- NC mother turns to public to help find people who shot at family
- Third stimulus check: Here’s when you might get a $1,400 direct payment