BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A man inside a convenience store in McGee’s Crossroads near Benson was shot to death while defending his mother during an armed robbery Thursday morning, the man’s brother told CBS 17.
Authorities received an armed robbery and shooting call at 1:26 a.m. at the Scotchman gas station, located at 1230 N.C. Highway 210, according to the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office.
The family member who spoke with CBS 17 said that his brother and mother worked together at the gas station together. According to the family member, two armed men walked into the store and tried to rob it. While they were attempting to rob the store, the man tried to intervene to defend his mother. One of the suspects then fired shots inside the store, hitting and killing the man.
The armed men were able to flee from the scene.
The woman was not injured during the robbery. No suspect information is available at this time.
The family member said security footage of the incident is available, but the sheriff’s office has not let him see it.
Although the family member said it was his brother that was working at the store, the sheriff’s office said in a release that the shooting victim did not work there.
The names of those involved have not been released.
A GoFundMe has been started in the victim’s honor.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Girlfriend arrested after man stabbed, found dead in recliner at home, Harnett County deputies say
- 10+ COVID-19 cases detected in Wake County Public Schools, but teachers or students not specified
- Comparing the Biden and Trump tax plans: Will you pay more?
- Initiative closes off some streets in Durham to give residents more space outdoors
- Phones, email still out after ‘cyber incident’ hits Chatham County government, officials say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now