CLAYTON, N.C. (WNCN) – A driver suspected to have been intoxicated was killed in a wrong-way crash with a mail truck Wednesday evening in Johnston County, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.
The mail truck was driving south on Buffaloe Road between Clayton and Selma when an Oldsmobile SUV heading north in the wrong lane crashed head-on into it. The driver of the SUV, 59-year-old Francis Tappin Jr., died, troopers said.
Alcohol was suspected to be a factor in the crash, NCSHP said.
The driver of the mail truck was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The crash happened just before 6 p.m. on Buffaloe Road near Rainbow Canyon Road, which is about a mile south of N.C. 42.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Masked man shot by grandfather during break-in dies
- Virginia police charge woman suspected of sharing officer’s personal information online
- Authorities searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man after woman found dead in Pulaski County under suspicious circumstances
- Vaccine demand slowing as milestones reached
- South Carolina driver killed by exploding airbag inflator