CLAYTON, N.C. (WNCN) – A driver suspected to have been intoxicated was killed in a wrong-way crash with a mail truck Wednesday evening in Johnston County, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.
The mail truck was driving south on Buffaloe Road between Clayton and Selma when an Oldsmobile SUV heading north in the wrong lane crashed head-on into it. The driver of the SUV, 59-year-old Francis Tappin Jr., died, troopers said.
Alcohol was suspected to be a factor in the crash, NCSHP said.
The driver of the mail truck was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The crash happened just before 6 p.m. on Buffaloe Road near Rainbow Canyon Road, which is about a mile south of N.C. 42.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Mega Millions climbs to estimated $1 billion ahead of Friday night drawing
- New images released of $41M surf and skate park coming to Myrtle Beach in 2021
- Third stimulus check: GOP lawmaker wants $1,400 payment reserved for people who get COVID-19 vaccine
- 43-year-old’s dying words: ‘I never thought that I would be considered nonessential’
- ‘Juvenile male’ shot while inside Durham home, police say