CLAYTON, N.C. (WNCN) — A Johnston County deputy was injured and another was spat on during a shoplifting arrest at a Walmart on Tuesday, deputies said.
The incident was reported as a shoplifting call at the Walmart on N.C. 42 near Interstate 40, according to Johnston County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Jeff Caldwell.
The suspect had stolen a $20 and was spotted by the first deputy who arrived. That deputy approached the suspect who reached into his pocket and “threatened” the deputy, Caldwell said.
A fight between the pair ensued and the deputy injured a hand during the fight, Caldwell said. A second deputy arrived to help. The suspect then spat in that deputy’s face.
Daniel Medlin, 39, of Garner was charged with felony assault on law enforcement officer causing injury, felony malicious conduct by a prisoner, resisting arrest and shoplifting.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Advocates speak out on potential effect of ‘Downtown South’ on nearby Raleigh residents
- Virginia bans no-knock warrants as Northam signs new police reform laws
- NC woman’s Trump-Pence campaign sign vandalized
- 44-year-old man charged with murdering teen in Henderson, police say
- Trump rally attendees were stranded in the cold for hours in Omaha
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now