NEW YORK, N.C. (WNCN) – A federal judge has denied Bernie Madoff’s request for a “compassionate release” from prison, the New York Times reports.
On Thursday, U.S. Circuit Judge Denny Chin rejected Madoff’s request that was made claiming he is terminally ill.
Bloomberg News said 520 of Madoff’s victims wrote to the court concerning the request – 96 percent said he shouldn’t be released.
Chin said he wanted Madoff to “live out the rest of his life in prison…Nothing has happened in the 11 years since to change my thinking,” according to the New York Times.
The 82-year-old is currently serving time at the federal prison in Butner.
This story will be updated.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNC-CH commission recommends re-naming 4 campus buildings
- 2nd person of interest announced in death of 8-year-old girl
- Dead cat gets voter registration application in mail
- University of South Carolina says SAT, ACT optional for 2021
- Florida woman takes job as nursing home dishwasher to be close to husband with Alzheimer’s