NASHVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — A man who had lived in his Nash County home for nearly 50 years died in a fire early Sunday, officials said.
The fire was reported around 1:30 a.m. in the 3300 block of Sykes Road, about 2.5 miles outside Nashville, according to Nashville Fire and Rescue Chief Chris Joyner.
A nearby Nash County deputy arrived at the scene first and found the home was fully involved with flames, Joyner said.
An 82-year-old man was later found dead in what was left of the home, according to Joyner.
The fire began with an electrical problem that was not related to a heater, Joyner said.
The man’s name will not be released until his relatives are notified.
Because the blaze involved a death, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office and Office of State Fire Marshall are involved in the investigation.
Crews were at the scene until about 10:30 a.m.
- Retired police captain killed as pawnshop looted
- Gov. Cooper: RNC ‘unlikely’ to happen in Charlotte as organizers want
- LIVE UPDATE: Tropical Storm Cristobal forms in Gulf of Mexico
- NC sees COVID-19 hospitalizations jump to highest number amid pandemic
- Police: Gun shop owner shoots, kills suspected looter in Philadelphia
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now