Local News

Man killed by Moore County deputies did not fire shots, sheriff now says

ABERDEEN, N.C. (WNCN) - Officials in Moore County now say that a man killed in an officer-involved shooting last month did not fire any shots.

Initially, the Moore County Sheriff's Office said that Arthur Kenzi Garner, 33, of Aberdeen was in a shootout with deputies around 3 a.m. on July 28.

In interviews just after Garner's death, family members said they doubted he fired any shots.

"This is a spent round we found where the firing pin has been hit and it didn't go off," said Danny Garner two days after the shooting. "This is another round where the firing pin hit, and it never went off."

Moore County deputies initially said Garner started shooting at law enforcement before deputies shot and killed him.

But, Friday, Moore County Sheriff Neil Godfrey said "confusion" led to the deadly shooting.

Godfrey told CBS 17 that Arthur Garner pointed a gun at deputies from the door and that deputies asked Garner to put the weapon down.

Godfrey Friday told CBS 17 that deputies heard what they thought were rounds being fired on their scanners when they were at the home. Deputies then started firing their guns, Godfrey said.

While family and friends said Garner was drinking, they claimed just after Garner's death that he didn't shoot at officers, nothing violent happened at the home, and they believe the incident should have been handled differently.

"I think they were acting on impulse," Arthur Garner's friend, Thomas Steed, said the day after the shooting.

"This is not over," mother Terry Garner said in a CBS 17 interview. "Hell hath no fury like the mother of a murdered son."

Garner's father and sister met with Godfrey Friday afternoon and he shared the new information with them.

The case is currently being investigated by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. Godfrey said the investigation should conclude Monday.

More Stories

North Carolina News Headlines

Latest News

Video Center