TARBORO, N.C. (WNCN) – A man shot his estranged wife and then himself Thursday morning in Tarboro, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.
Authorities received a call about a domestic assault involving a firearm. They responded to the scene on N.C. Highway 97 West. The woman was able to escape to safety. She is receiving medical care and is expected to recover, the release said.
A private citizen with a helicopter helped authorities locate the suspect. Deputies then heard a single gunshot. They found the suspect dead in his vehicle from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the release said.
The two people involved weren’t identified.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Hackers targeting hospitals amid COVID-19 case surge, FBI warns
- Falcons prevail in back-and-forth divisional battle versus Panthers
- Man seriously injured after being shot during carjacking in Fayetteville, police say
- NC doesn’t require districts to notify parents, staff when COVID-19 cases pop up
- Man mauled after paying for ‘full-contact’ leopard experience in Florida
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now