ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WNCN) – A 55-year-old man was stabbed to death amid a fight that began at a Roanoke Rapids barbershop Wednesday evening, police said.
A 911 call was made around 7:10 p.m. reporting a disturbance at the Tight Edge Barber Shop in the Forest Hills Shopping Center, according to Police Chief Bobby Martin.
The caller reported someone needing medical assistance.
When Roanoke Rapids officers arrived, they found an unresponsive man, later identified as Jerome Peters, lying in the parking lot. The man was bleeding from his “upper body,” police said.
Officers and EMS attempted life-saving measures but Peters died at the scene.
An investigation revealed a fight involving weapons broke out in the barbershop but was later broken up.
A short time later, a second fight began in the parking lot outside the barbershop.
Peters was fatally stabbed in that altercation, police said.
Tyrone Price, 49, of Roanoke Rapids was detained at the scene and charged with second-degree murder.
He received a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 5.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Tropical Depression 11 forms in Atlantic, expected to become Tropical Storm Josephine
- Rare ‘boomerang’ earthquake detected under the Atlantic Ocean for the first time
- Colorado Park Rangers: Please don’t feed pizza to moose
- Ohio UPS store owner personally drives package to Florida to ensure on-time delivery
- Triangle-area roads littered with trash after pandemic cancels NCDOT’s usual litter sweeps
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now