ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WNCN) – A Roanoke Rapids woman was arrested Tuesday after it was discovered she had been leaving her 8-month-old child in a car with the windows rolled up while she was at work, according to a news release.
Roanoke Rapids police were contacted by the Halifax County Department of Social Service on Monday in reference to a woman who was working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car leaving her infant in a car while she worked all day.
Police said they received the complaint on Tuesday and responded immediately. They discovered the 8-month-old in a Chevrolet Impala with the windows rolled up and the doors locked.
Officers, while monitoring the child’s welfare, made contact with her mother – Cheneece Steed, of Macon. It was determined that Steed had been leaving her child in the vehicle while she was working, the release said.
Steed was arrested and charged with misdemeanor child neglect. She was released on a $2,500 bond. She will appear in court on April 1.
The child was released back to Steed and the father, per the Halifax County Department of Social Service.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- No. 11 Miami holds off Virginia 19-14, moves to 5-1
- Durham event makes room for more outdoor dining at downtown businesses
- Top Pence aide tests positive for coronavirus, vice president to go forward with Kinston trip, officials say
- NC officials shut down church as ‘imminent hazard’ citing link to 3 deaths among 121 COVID-19 cases
- Charlotte police dodge gunfire while trying to stop driver at break-in call
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now