PITTSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — A suspect is in custody following a hostage situation at a State Employees’ Credit Union in Pittsboro on Thursday afternoon, the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office said.
The SECU, located at 35 Industrial Park Drive just off U.S. 64 Business/East Street, was surrounded by multiple law enforcement units after receiving a call referencing the incident, according to officials.
The area around the scene of the hostage situation was shut down for more than an hour.
Authorities said that hostages were held inside the building but later released. No injuries were reported.
It’s not clear at this time if the suspect was attempting to rob the credit union or what their motive may have been. Their identity has not been released and authorities have not said what charges the suspect will face.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 3 teens arrested in string of violent robberies in Fayetteville, police say
- Years-long nurse shortage in NC exacerbated by pandemic, officials say
- 27 veterans die in COVID-19 outbreak at Illinois VA home
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey expected to miss game against Minnesota Vikings
- New mask material created at NC State makes up for shortage of N95, surgical masks