PITTSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — A suspect is in custody following a hostage situation at a State Employees’ Credit Union in Pittsboro on Thursday afternoon, the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office said.
The SECU, located at 35 Industrial Park Drive just off U.S. 64 Business/East Street, was surrounded by multiple law enforcement units after receiving a call referencing the incident, according to officials.
The area around the scene of the hostage situation was shut down for more than an hour.
Authorities said that hostages were held inside the building but later released. No injuries were reported.
It’s not clear at this time if the suspect was attempting to rob the credit union or what their motive may have been. Their identity has not been released and authorities have not said what charges the suspect will face.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Suspect arrested after Raleigh man shot at Fayetteville sports bar
- WATCH LIVE: Snow falling in Asheville
- What does ‘state of emergency’ mean for North Carolinians?
- ‘Now is the time to get ready,’ Gov. Cooper says ahead of Thursday’s snowstorm
- Myrtle Beach Voucher program encourages downtown redevelopment
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now