ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WNCN) — A Nash County man and his car vanished on Christmas Eve. Travis Lynch’s family is still waiting and wondering what happened to him 16 years ago.
“Sixteen years, they should have something,” his aunt Avalean Lynch said.
Lynch was 21 years old when he went missing.
“December the 24th, we were waiting for him to come home for Christmas and he never showed that day,” his aunt said.
The family reported him missing the next day.
“It was just not like him not to come home. We knew there was something wrong,” she said.
Investigators said he had been with his girlfriend at a friend’s house. Authorities said Travis left her home in his white 1992 Pontiac Grand Am around 1 a.m. That was the last time anyone saw him.
Avalean Lynch said police didn’t seem to take the case seriously.
“No. To me, they did not. I mean, in my mind, I felt they thought it was just another young teenager left home. He be home when he be home. But that wasn’t the case,” she explained.
Investigators told CBS 17 they followed up, searching bodies of water and junkyards, but found nothing.
“He didn’t just disappear into the air. So, somebody has to know. They just won’t talk. But one day, one day,” Lynch said.
The Nash County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate every lead. They’re offering a $20,000 reward for information in the case.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 16-year-old football standout killed in shooting outside Dunn Cook Out
- Daytona 500: Denny Hamlin wins 2 in a row, Ryan Newman in serious condition following horrific wreck
- Racing world takes to social media reacting to Ryan Newman crash at Daytona 500
- Many tires damaged in NC police parking lot; officers trying to find who put tacks there
- PHOTOS: Driver Ryan Newman in serious condition after horrific wreck at Daytona
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now