ZEBULON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 61-year-old woman died Tuesday after a small explosion and a fire in her Nash County home, according to a release from the sheriff’s office.
Belinda Coble was using an oxygen tank due to medical issues. She was smoking a cigarette while the oxygen was being administered, which ignited the tank. The cigarette caused ignited the tank, causing a small explosion and a fire, the release said.
Coble was dead when authorities and EMS arrived at her home, which is located along the 6600 block of Crowned Court in Zebulon.
Coble’s husband was asleep in another room in the home. The explosion and sound of the smoke alarm woke him up. He was able to extinguish the fire, which caused minimal property damage, the release said.
The husband called 911.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Triangle-based lab to test ACC, Big South athletes for COVID-19, get results in under 24 hours
- Reese’s launches big cups with pretzels because ‘we’re all feeling a little bit salty’ in 2020
- No more Uncle Ben’s – new name for rice brand revealed
- Warrant: Driver fleeing Durham deputy topped 100 mph before fiery crash that killed innocent man
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now