CHARLESTON, S.C. (WNCN) – A 51-year-old doctor from the Triangle was shot and killed during a fight with a rideshare driver near Charleston, South Carolina.
CBS 17 sister station WCBD reports officers responded to a report of gunshots in the 2700 block of Maybank Highway around 11:45 p.m., just west of the bridge to James Island.
A blue Chevy Cruze was found with a body in the backseat, Charleston police said. The car’s back window was broken as well.
The Charleston County Coroner’s Office identified the victim as 51-year-old Geoffrey Seidel of North Carolina. His family told CBS 17 he used to be a doctor in the Triangle area.
He had been shot to death, police confirmed.
Investigators believe “an altercation occurred inside a rideshare vehicle,” WCBD reports.
The driver stayed on scene, police said.
No charges have been filed at this time.
Seidel’s family confirmed to CBS 17 he was a doctor in North Carolina.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Indiana lawmakers consider bill that would allow children as young as 12 to be tried as adults
- Marine veteran holds plank for over 8 hours, setting Guinness World Record
- Garner woman beat her husband to death with a baseball bat, police say
- WATCH: NASA gives 3D view of Apollo 13 moon
- YouTuber faked an exotic vacation in Bali with pictures taken at a nearby Ikea