BALDWIN, N.C. (WNCN) — Nearly 500 people were without power in Chatham County after a car crash and fire Friday night.
The incident happened around 8:40 p.m. along Manns Chapel Road near Winterberry Way, which is southwest of Chapel Hill.
During the crash, a car flipped over and then caught on fire, Chatham County officials said.
Soon afterward, power was lost in the area and Duke Energy said it was from “vehicle damaging our equipment.”
Just under 475 customers were without power at one point during the evening.
Duke Energy said power would be restored by 12:15 a.m., but nearly all customers had power back on just after 10:30 p.m., according to the company.
Officials said EMS crews were dispatched the scene, but there was no word on injuries.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – US Department of Justice and UPS are hiring
- Big 12 moves ahead with fall sports beginning in September
- Durham man shot in the back, seriously injured; 1 arrested, charged
- 2020 Masters to be held in November without patrons, guests
- Stein Mart files for bankruptcy amid pandemic turmoil
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now