CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A person died in a major crash that closed part of Interstate 40 in Orange County for more than three hours Sunday, officials said.
The crash was reported around 11:15 a.m. near exit 266, which is N.C. 86, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
Traffic was detoured around the crash scene as all westbound lanes were closed in the area, which is about two miles north of Chapel Hill.
The highway reopened around 2:45 p.m.
No other details were available.
- Report: Joe Biden selects his running mate, announcement coming as early as Tuesday
- 21-year-old Florida man recovers from mild COVID-19, then his organs began to fail
- Viral video shows man hanging off back of truck at high speeds on Colorado highway
- COVID-19 cases among children in U.S. up 90% over 4 weeks, report says
- Perseid meteor shower to peak Tuesday night; here’s how to watch
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now