CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A massive tree fell on a home in Chapel Hill on Saturday afternoon.
The incident happened around 4:10 p.m. at a house in the 200 block of Prichard Avenue, according to Chapel Hill fire officials.
There were no injuries when the tree fell on the home. However, six UNC-Chapel Hill students are displaced from the house, fire officials said.
Officials said the tree would need to be removed with a crane. The rear of the house was destroyed by the tree.
CBS 17 meteorologist Bill Reh said winds were constant for hours Saturday at 20 mph with gusts up to 31 mph just before 4 p.m. A high gust along with hours of rain to weaken the tree’s root structure likely created the conditions for the tree to fall, Reh said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Congress looks to halt plan cutting 40+ minor league teams from MLB
- NC high school football teams getting set for weekend’s state championships
- VIDEO: Crash leaves car propped upside down on wire
- Wake Tech program helps foster young adults through college process
- Fire, explosion blows out 50-foot section of wall at Tarboro business
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now